List of Publications
Scroll down for Four headings: Peer-reviewed Journal Articles (71), Book Chapters (8), Edited Books (1) and Invited Editorials (5)
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
71. Montgomery, A., Panagopoulou, E., Esmail, A., Richards, T., & Maslach, C. (2019). Burnout in healthcare: the case for organisational change. BMJ 2019; 366 doi: pdf
70. Spatoula, V., Panagopoulou, E., & Montgomery, A. (2019). Does empathy change during undergraduate medical education? A meta-analysis. Medical Teacher, DOI: 10.1080/0142159X.2019.1584275 pdf
69. Koutsimani, P., Montgomery, A. & Georganta, K., (2019). The Relationship Between Burnout, Depression, and Anxiety: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Frontiers in psychology, 10, 284. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2019.00284 pdf
68. Panagopoulou, E., Montgomery, A. (2019). From burnout to resilient practice: is it a matter of the individual or the context? Medical Education, pdf
67. Manomenidis, G., Panagopoulou, E., & Montgomery. A.J. (2019). Resilience in Nursing: The role of internal and external factors. Journal of Nursing Management, 27, 172-178. pdf
66. Montgomery A. (2018). Physicians as leaders: are we trying to fit square pegs into round holes? BMJ Leader Published Online First: 11 October 2018. doi: 10.1136/leader-2018-000080 pdf
65. Georganta, K., & Montgomery, A. (2018). Workplace fun: a matter of context and not content. Qualitative Research in Organizations and Management: An International Journal, pdf
64. Manomenidis, G., Panagopoulou, E., & Montgomery, A. (2017). Job burnout reduces hand hygiene compliance among nursing staff. Journal of Patient Safety. doi: 10.1097/PTS.0000000000000435 pdf
63. Villiers-Tuthill, A., Doulougeri, K., McGee, H., Montgomery, A., Panagopoulou, E., Morgan, K. (2017). Development and Validation of a Cross-Country Hospital Patient Quality of Care Assessment Tool in Europe. The Patient - Patient-Centered Outcomes Research, DOI 10.1007/s40271-017-0246-8 pdf
62. Tsiga E., Panagopoulou, E., & Montgomery, A. (2017). Are we overestimating the relationship between medical error and burnout? A checklist approach. Burnout Research, 6, 1-8. pdf
61. Karagianni, D., & Montgomery, A.J. (2017). Developing leadership skills among adolescents and young adults: A review of leadership programs. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth.
60. Doulougeri, K, Panagopoulou, E. & Montgomery, A.J., (2017). (How) do medical students regulate their emotions? BMC Medical Education, DOI 10.1186/s12909-016-0832-9. pdf
59. Georganta, K., & Montgomery, A. (2017). Exploring fun as a job resource: The enhancing and protecting role of a key modern workplace factor. International Journal of Applied Positive Psychology. doi:10.1007/s41042-016-0002-7 pdf
58. Montgomery, A., (2016). The relationship between leadership and physician well-being: A scoping review. Journal of Healthcare Leadership, 8, 71-80.
57. Dawe, K., Montgomery, A., McGee, H., Panagopoulou, E., Morgan, K., Hackshaw, L. & Vedhara, K. (2016). The effects of perceived stress on biological parameters in healthcare professionals: A systematic review. Journal of Health Psychology, 21, 607-681. doi:10.1177/1359105314532970 pdf
56. Doulougeri, K., Georganta, K., & Montgomery, A. (2016). “Diagnosing” burnout among healthcare professionals: Can we find consensus?. Cogent Medicine, 3(1), 1237605.
55. Alexandrova-Karamanov, A., Todorova, I., Montgomery, A., Panagopoulou, E., Costa, P., Baban, A., Davas, A., Milosevic, M., Mijakoski, D (2016). Burnout and health behaviors in health professionals from seven European countries. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health, 89, 1509-1789. DOI 10.1007/s00420-016-1143-5 pdf
54. Matziari, A., Montgomery, A.J., Georganta, K., Doulougeri, K. (2016). The Relationship Between Organizational Practices and Values with Burnout and Engagement. Current Psychology, DOI 10.1007/s12144-016-9413-7 pdf
53. Manomenidis, G., Panagopoulou, E., & Montgomery, A., (2016). The 'switch on-switch off model': Strategies used by nurses to mentally prepare and disengage from work. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 22, 365-363. DOI:10.1111/ijn.12443 pdf
52. Costa, P., Ramos, S., Silva, S. A., Passos, A. M., Tavares, S. M, Bretones, F. D., Delgado, A., Doulougeri, K., Georganta, K. Giacominelli, B., Gonzalez, R., Montgomery, A., & Pasini, M. (2015). Participative prevention of psychosocial emergent risks in small and medium enterprises - Overview of a collaborative project. The European Health Psychologist, 17(4), 146-151.
51. Montgomery, A., Spanu, F., Baban, A., & Panagopoulou, E. (2015). Job demands, burnout, and engagement among nurses: A multi-level analysis of the ORCAB data investigating the moderating effect of teamwork. Burnout Research, 2, 71-79. pdf
50. Panagopoulou, E., Montgomery, A., & Tsiga, E. (2015). Bringing the well being and patient safety research agenda together: why healthy HPs equal safe patients. Front Psychol. 2015; 6: 211. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.0021
49. Montgomery, A., Doulougeri K., & Panagopoulou E. (2015). Implementing Action Research in hospital settings: A systematic review. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 29, 729-749.
48. Mijakoski,D., Karadzinska-Bislimovska, J., Basarovska,V., Montgomery, A., Panagopoulou,E., Stoleski, S., & Minov, J. (2015). Burnout, Engagement, and Organizational Culture: Differences between Physicians and Nurses. Open Access Macedonian Journal of Medical Sciences. pdf
47. Nella, D., Panagopoulou, E., Galanis, N., Montgomery, A., & Benos, A., (2015). Consequences of Job Insecurity on the Psychological and Physical Health of Greek Civil Servants. BioMed Research International, Article ID 673623, doi:10.1155/2015/673623.
46. Georganta, K., Montgomery, A., & Panagopoulou, E. (2014). Talking behind their backs: Negative gossip and burnout in Hospitals. Burnout Research, 1, 76-81. doi:10.1016/j.burn.2014.07.003
45. Humphries, N., Morgan, K., Conroy, M., McGowan, Y., Montgomery, A., & McGee, H. (2014). Quality of Care and Health Professional Burnout: Narrative Literature Review. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, 27, 293-307.
44. Spatoula, V., Panagopoulou, E., Tsigka, E., Alexandridi, A., Montgomery, A. (2014). Assessing stereotypes in medical professionals. Archives of Hellenic Medicine, 31, 496-502.
43. Costa, P.L., Passos, A.M., Silva, S.A., Sacadura-Leiteb, E.,Tavaresa, S.M., Spanu,F., Dimitrova, E., Basarovska, Milosevic, M., Turk, M., Panagopoulou, E., & Montgomery, A., (2014). Overcoming job demands to deliver high quality care in a hospital setting across Europe: The role of teamwork and positivity. Journal of Work & Organizational Psychology, 30, 105-112.
42. Pathak, K.P., & Montgomery, A.J. (2014). General practitioners’ knowledge, practices, and obstacles in the diagnosis and management of dementia. Aging and Mental Health, DOI:10.1080/13607863.2014.976170
41. Montgomery, A.J. (2014). The inevitability of physician burnout: Implications for interventions. Burnout Research, 1, 50-56.
40. Deligkaris, P., Panagopoulou, E., Montgomery, A.J., & Masoura, E. (2014). Job burnout and cognitive functioning: A systematic review. Work & Stress, 28, 107-123. DOI:10.1080/02678373.2014.909545 pdf
39. Papadopoulos, K., Papakonstantinou, D., Montgomery, A., & Solomou A (2014). Social support and depression of adults with visual impairments. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 25, 1734-1741.
38. Papadopoulos, K., Montgomery, A. J. & Chronopoulou, E. (2013). The impact of visual impairments in self-esteem and locus of control. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34, 4565–4570.
37. Milosevic, M., Brborovic, H., Mustajbegovic, J. & Montgomery, A. (2013). Patients and health care professionals: Partners in health care in Croatia? British Journal of Health Psychology, DOI:10.1111/bjhp.12062
36. Doulougeri, K., Panagopoulou, E. & Montgomery, A., (2013). The impact of maternal stress on initiation and establishment of breastfeeding. Journal of Neonatal Nursing, 19, 162-167.
35. Turk, M., Davas, A., Tanik, F.A. & Montgomery, A.J. (2013). Organizational stressors, work–family interface and the role of gender in the hospital: Experiences from Turkey. British Journal of Health Psychology, DOI: 10.1111/bjhp.12041
34. Tsiga, E., Panagopoulou, E., Sevdalis, N., Montgomery, A., & Benos, A., (2013). The influence of time pressure on adherence to guidelines in primary care: An experimental study. BMJ Open 2013 Apr 11; 3 (4).
33. Montgomery, A., Tordova, I., Baban, A., & Panagopoulou, E., (2013). Improving quality and safety in the hospital: The link between organisational culture, burnout and quality of care. British Journal of Health Psychology, 18, 656-662.
32. Lentza, V., Montgomery, A., Georganta, K., & Panagopoulou, E. (2013). Constructing the health care system in Greece: Responsibility and powerlessness. British Journal of Health Psychology. DOI:10.1111/bjhp.12028 pdf
31. Conroy, M., Humphries, N., Morgan, K., Montgomery, A., Vedhara, K., McGee, H. & Panagopoulou, E. (2012). A 10 year (2000-2010) systematic review of interventions to improve quality of care in hospitals. BMC Health Services Research, 12, 275. doi:10.1186/1472-6963-12-275. pdf
30. Montgomery, A.J., Bradley, C., Rochfort, A. & Panagopoulou, E. (2011). A review of self-medication in physicians and medical students. Occupational Medicine, doi:10.1093/occmed/kqr098.
29. Panagopoulou, E., Giata, E., Montgomery, A., Dinas, K., & Benos, A. (2011). Human papillomavirus and cervical screening: misconceptions undermine adherence. American Journal of Health Promotion, 26, 6-9.
28. Panagopoulou, E., Montgomery, A., & Benos, A. (2011). Health Promotion as a behavioural challenge: Are we missing attitudes? Global Health Promotion, 18, 54-57.
27. Montgomery, A.J., Panagopoulou, E., Kehoe, I., Valkanos, E. (2011). Connecting organisational culture and quality of care in the hospital: Is job burnout the missing link? Journal of Health Organisation and Management, 25, 108-123.
26. Moustou, I., Panagopoulou, E., Montgomery, A.J., Benos, A. (2010). Burnout Predicts Health Behaviours in Ambulance Workers. The Open Occupational Health & Safety Journal, 2, 16-18.
25. Montgomery, A.J., & Kehoe, I. (2010). Organisational psychology is needed to reimagine schools. The Psychologist, 23, 486-487.
24. Panagopoulou, E. Montgomery, A., & Tarlatzis, B. (2009). Experimental emotional disclosure in women undergoing IVF: Are non-participants better off? Social Science and Medicine, 69, 678-681.
23. Montgomery, A.J., Panagopoulou, E, Peeters, M., & Schaufeli, W. (2009). Exploring types of Interference Between Work and Non-Work: Using a Diary Study approach. Community, Work and Family, 12, 455-471.
22. Montgomery, A.J., Peeters, M., Schaufeli, W., & Panagopoulou, E. (2008). Crossover and work-home interference. Irish Journal of Psychology, 29, 61-76.
21. McGee HM, O’Hanlon A, Barker M, Hickey A, Montgomery A, Conroy R, O’Neill D. (2008). Vulnerable older people in the community: relationship between the Vulnerable Elders Survey and health service use. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 56: 8-15.
20. Panagopoulou, E., Minzitori, G., Montgomery A., Kapoukranidou, D., & Benos, A. (2008) Concealment of information in clinical practice: Is lying less stressful than telling the truth? Journal of Clinical Oncology, 28, 1175-1177.
19. Otoom, S., Al-Jishi, A., Montgomery, A.J., Ghwanmeh, M., Atoum, A., (2007). Death anxiety in patients with epilepsy. Seizure: European Journal of Epilepsy, 16, 142-146.
18. Panagopoulou, E., Montgomery, A.J., Maes, S. (2006) Quality of life after Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting: Evaluating the influence of preoperative physical and psychosocial functioning. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 60, 639-44.
17. Montgomery, A.J., McGee, H., Donohoe, J., Shannan, W. (2006). Factors influencing general practitioner referral of patients developing end-stage renal failure: a standardised case-analysis study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2006 Sep 13;6:114.
16. Panagopoulou, E., Rime, B., Maes, S., & Montgomery, A.J. (2006). Social Sharing of Emotion in Anticipation of Cardiac Surgery: Effects on Preoperative Distress. Journal of Health Psychology, 11, 809-820.
15. Panagopoulou, E., Montgomery, A.J., Benos, A., & Maes, S., (2006). Are people emotionally predisposed to experience lower quality of life? The Impact of Negative Affectivity on quality of life in patients recovering from cardiac surgery. Social Indicator Research, 76, 55-69.
14. Amin, F.A., Fedorowicz, Z., & Montgomery, A.J. (2006). A study of knowledge and attitudes towards the use of evidence-based medicine among primary health care physicians in Bahrain. Saudi Medical Journal, 27, 1394-6.
13. Montgomery, A.J., Panagopoulou, E., Benos (2006). Work-home interference as a mediator between job demands and job burnout among doctors. Stress & Health, 22, 203-212.
12. Panagopoulou, E., Montgomery, A.J., Benos, A (2006). Burnout in internal medicine physicians: Differences between residents and specialists. European Journal of Internal Medicine, 17, 195-200.
11. Montgomery, A.J., Panagopoulou, E., Wildt, M., & Meenks, E. (2006). Work-Family Interference, Emotional Labor and Burnout. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 21, 36-51.
10. Montgomery, A.J., Panagopoulou, E., & Benos, A. (2005). Emotional Labor at Work and at Home Among Greek Health Care Professionals. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 19, 395-408.
9. Peeters, M.C.W., Montgomery, A.J., Bakker, A.B. & Schaufeli, W.B. (2005). Balancing work and home: How job and home demands are related to burnout. International Journal of Stress Management, 12, 43-61
8. Montgomery, A.J., Panagopolou, E., Peeters, M.C.W., & Schaufeli, W.B. (2005). The meaning of work and home. Community, Work & Family, 8, 141-161.
7. Montgomery, A.J., Peeters, M.C.W., Schaufeli, W.B., & Den Ouden, M. (2003). Work-home interference among newspaper managers: Its relationship with burnout and engagement. Anxiety, Stress & Coping, 16, 195-211.
6. Peeters, C.W., De Jonge, J. & Montgomery, A.J. (2003). Job demands, work-home interference and well-being: a research on cross domain relations. Gedrag & Organisatie [Behaviour & Organisations.], 16, 108-124.
5. Montgomery, A.J. (1997). The Psychological Care of Medical Patients: The broader context. Health Psychology Update., 27, 28-29.
4. McGee, H.M., Montgomery, A.J. & Horgan, J.H. (1997). One-year outcome and Health service use of a National sample of patients hospitalized for Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI) in Ireland. Heart, 77 (Suppl. 1) p.34.
3. Montgomery, A.J., O’Reilly, M.F., Lancioni, G.E., Furniss, F., Rocha, N., Cunha, B., & Seedhouse, P. (1996). Identifying computer-assisted instruction for people with severe intellectual disabilities: A literature review. European Journal on Mental Disability, 3, (9), 32-46.
2. Montgomery, A.J., O’Reilly, M., Crowley, Lancioni, G.E, Furniss, F., Tennant, L., Rocha, N., Morato, P., & Seedhouse, P. (1996). Decision models for Instructional Strategies for Learning Disabled Persons. European Journal on Mental Disability, 3,(10), 43-59.
1. De Rocha, Cunha, B., Lancioni., G., O’Reilly, M., Montgomery, A., Seedhouse, P., Furniss, F., & Morato, P. (1995). Palmtop based system for vocational integration of Intellectually disabled people: Preliminary definition. Revista Do Detua, 1, 311-317.
Montgomery, A., & Maslach, C. (2019). Burnout in Health Professionals. In S. Ayers, C. McManus, S. Newman, K. Petrie, T. Revenson, & J. Weiman (Eds). (3rd Edition). Cambridge University Press.
Georganta, K & Montgomery, A. (2019). Worksite interventions. In S. Ayers, C. McManus, S. Newman, K. Petrie, T. Revenson, & J. Weiman (Eds). Cambridge Handbook of Psychology, Health and Medicine (3rd Edition). Cambridge University Press.
Doulougeri, K. & Montgomery, A. (2019). Multidisciplinary teamworking. In S. Ayers, C. McManus, S. Newman, K. Petrie, T. Revenson, & J. Weiman (Eds). Cambridge Handbook of Psychology, Health and Medicine (3rd Edition). Cambridge University Press.
Montgomery,A., Kargianni, D., & Androutsou, D., (2016). Reimagining Schooling: Is it possible? In A. Montgomery & I. Kehoe, I. (Eds.). Reimagining the purpose of Schools and educational organizations: Developing Critical thinking, agency, beliefs in schools and educational organizations (pp.3-12). Springer: Switzerland.
Montgomery, A., Georganta, K., Doulougeri, K., Panagopoulou, E. (2015). Job Burnout: Why interventions fail and what can we do differently. In M. Karananika-Murray & C. Biron (Eds.), Derailed organizational health and well-being interventions: Confessions of failure, solutions for success (pp 37-44). Springer: Dordrecht.
Montgomery, A., Doulougeri K., Georganta, K., Panagopoulou E. (2013). Organizational Health Intervention Research in Medical Settings: In G. F. Bauer & G. J. Jenny (Eds). Salutogenic organizations and change: The concepts behind organizational health intervention research (pp 37-54). Springer Publications.
Montgomery A. (2013). Culture and change in developing western countries. In The Psychology of Organizational Development, Leadership and Change. A Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Organizational Psychology, Editors: Skip Leonard, Rachel Lewis, Arthur Freedman and Jonathan Passmore.
Montgomery, Α., Panagopoulou, Ε., & Platsidou, M. (2010). Educating doctors: Can health and occupational psychology make a difference? In G. Koulierakis, A.Paschali, V. Rotsika & M. Tzinieri-Kokkosi (Eds) Clinical Health Psychology: Research and Practice (pp. 487-501). Athens: Papazisis Publishing.
Montgomery, A., & Kehoe, I. (Eds.). (2016). Reimagining the purpose of Schools and educational organizations: Developing Critical thinking, agency, beliefs in schools and educational organizations. Springer: Switzerland.
Pisanti, R., Montgomery, A.J., Quick, J.C. (2018). Psychosocial job dimensions and distress/well-being: issues and challenges in occupational health psychology [Editorial]. Front. Psychol. | doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2017.02213
Craciun, C., & Montgomery, A. (2016). Men’s health: Exploring vulnerabilities and maximizing opportunities [Editorial]. European Health Psychologist 18 (1), 3-6.
Montgomery, A., & Georganta, K. (2015). Psychosocial risks in the workplace-Bridging the gap among theory, practice and policy [Editorial]. European Health Psychologist 17 (4), 142-145
Laschinger, H., & Montgomery, A., (2014). Burnout in Healthcare: What do we know and what should we do? [Editorial] Burnout Research, 1, 57-58.
Montgomery, A. (2011). Social justice: what has health psychology contributed? [Editorial] European Health Psychologist, 13, 3-12.